The Annie Walsh Memorial School, Freetown, Sierra Leone, was founded in 1849, making it one of the oldest seats of learning in Africa. Miss Annie Walsh, after whom our alma mater was named, was a young English lady, who dreamed of one day becoming a missionary in Africa. Her untimely death at the age of just 20, propelled her grief stricken parents into establishing a fund in her memory. Proceeds from this fund were added to monies collected by the then Christian Missionary Society (CMS) to establish a small private school for girls, initially in the mountainside village of Charlotte. In 1865 it was moved to its present location of Kissy Road.
Based and founded on Christian ideals, the aim and vision were, as they remain to this day, to educate, train and groom young African girls in the pursuit of excellence in all areas, with an emphasis on academic performance and discipline.